TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Oh it's not broken. I just bought an Echo Dot from Amazon…

Customer Question
HI oh it's not...

HI oh it's not broken. I just bought an Echo Dot from Amazon and I want to sync my Vizio TV to work with it. Do you know how I can do that?

Technician's Assistant: What Vizio model do you have? How old is it?

OH shucks I don't remember. it's a few years old. maybe 4?

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Oh yes the TV menu works

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Vizio? What happened right before this?

NO I just got this Dot and wanted to set it up. with Alexa

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The Echo Dot is just a "Smart Speaker"- it doesn't have the capacity to tell your TV what to watch. I'm assuming you were looking to say "Alexa- turn on the local news", etc. correct?

If you're looking to be able to tell Alexa what to watch, then you need a device like the Amazon Firestick with the Alexa remote, and you can then tell the Firestick what to play out of its apps and onto the TV. Or, DirecTv is the only other channel provider that works with the Alexa remote, but it needs to be a special DirecTv box that's designed to work with Alexa.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?