TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I own a TC-P42S30 plasma television. Lately the display has…

Customer Question
Hi there, I own...

Hi there, I own a TC-P42S30 plasma television. Lately the display has been greying, and showing burn in after a few moments use. I have tried replacing the a board, but no help. Where should I look next?

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

HDMI, two one from the cble box, the second from a panasonic blu ray player

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

T main breaker tripped about a month ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope, having no luck finding the problem. Fuses on powerboard seem good

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 3 days by:
12/5/2017
TV Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 4 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I still need assistance. Just to confirm, this is a Panasonic TC-P42S30 plasma tv. Self check shows all boards functional. In replacing the A board, digital input board, I did not have the ribbon cable properly inserted resulting in the 06 error code, which I corrected. There should be pictures of the self check, the vsus setting screen which should be white I believe, and the service tool screen. If you need additional images or more information please let me know. Have visually inspected the power board, no apparent blown fuses or swollen capacitors. Really love this set, would hate to toss it.

I understand that you love the set but the TV is only worth around $200 (you can buy one used on eBay right now for $200) and you can buy a 42 inch TV for under $400 nowadays. You are going to be dumping money into an old TV set when you can buy a new one for cheaper.

That was a decision I planned to make myself if the cost of repair was too high. Is this problem being caused by a board, or the plasma display? I was looking for a direction to proceed in repairing the set, or additional tests to help isolate the issue. The set was in storage (climate controlled) for two years, and was rarely used before that. I am on disability so my financial resources are limited, and replacing the set would be difficult.

This is usually a board issue but again, you will be swapping out parts to see what works and doesn't which will cost money for each part.

what you are saying is that you have no clue where to look next? Unfortunately that is no help.

No, that is not what I am saying.

I am trying to save you time and money to repair a TV that is worth around $200.

Louie, Technician