TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I HAVE A SAMSUNG PLASMA TV THAT HAS BEEN GETTING MORE AND…

Customer Question
HI I HAVE A...

HI I HAVE A SAMSUNG PLASMA TV THAT HAS BEEN GETTING MORE AND MORE DIM EVERY YEAR. I HAVE THE BRIGHTNESS MAXED AND NOW IT IS AT THE POINT WHERE ITS GETTING HARD TO SEE. I ASKED SHOPJIMMY IF I COULD GET A NEW BULB BUT THEY SAID THE PLASMA DOES NOT HAVE A BULB. CURIOUS IF YOU MIGHT KNOW WHAT PART IS BAD

Technician's Assistant: What SAMSUNG model do you have? How old is it?

PN51D440A5D

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

MODEL CODE PN51D440A5DXZC

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your SAMSUNG? What happened right before this?

IT HAS VERY SLOWLY GONE DIMMER AND DIMMER. STARTED ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. EVERY FEW MONTHS GOES A BIT DIMMER

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

GRADUAL OVER TIME NOT THAT I CAN THINK OF

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
11/30/2017
TV Technician: ISP Cable Support, Customer Service replied 4 months ago
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

I am looking into this now. I will type up a response.

Here are a few options to try that may or may not work. I would hate to see you have buy a new TV but I see a lot of TV issues and this is one of the top issues for plasma TVs.

• Check to make sure that outlet/circuit is not overloaded with a large power surge of devices. If it is, unplug them all to test to see if that helps. To find all the devices on that circuit, turn off the breaker for that room until the TV turns off. Any devices that stopped working as well could be unplugged or turned off in the meantime. Since I don't have access to see your rooms and power usage, this is just an easy tip to try first. It generally isn't an issue since you've had this issue for 2 years.
  • Bypass a surge suppressor and go directly in the wall to determine if it's the surge protector.
  • Unplug the TV for 60 minutes from the power or overnight. Check the results in the morning.
  • Check to see if you have power save mode on.

Besides that, you are familiar with the site I would have referred you to for board replacement. There's not a single board that may fix your problem. Considering the cost, you could buy the kit if it was in stock or if you hunted around for this one: http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-pn51d430a3dxza-n411-tv-repair-kit-version-1.htm. I cannot guarantee this would resolve the issue 100% as plasma's are prone to going dim over time depending on usage and other factors.

-------

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help provide any clarification or further details you may need. If you do not need any further help, just as a reminder before you go, please give me a quick rating at the top right. Hopefully I have earned 5 stars today! This helps me receive credit for helping you today. Have a great rest of your day!

I am a master technician for Ford. It is not a power, surge protector etc...issue as i have plugged into a different outlet and my electrician did check the outlet.
It is a issue with the tv itself it acts as though the bulb is burnt out or on its way out.
I tried the link you provided but it says: “whoops! Our bad this page appears to be on vacation. We hope it is somewhere tropical. Some tips to get you back on-track.”
On one forum a person said it may be the x-sus or jsus board.
It gets dinner each month and i have been slowly increasing the brightness to compensate. Now the brightness is at max and i cant compensate any further. Soon it will be too hard to see..
Is their a repair manual i could by for trouble shooting or a circuit/ component to check? I do have a dvom and do no how to test resistance and voltage. If there is a common component for this concern i could try that. It sounds like their is no bulb for plasma’s so maybe i need whatever makes it bright..
If i can find out what to replace i will definitely give 5 stars.

That kit has all the parts combined to knock out at once.

The screenshot didn't carry over. But no biggie, go to shopjimmy.com and search for this part number. It's not in stock mind you, but it has all the parts for this TV in a bundle. KIT-PN51D430A3DXZA-K1

ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service