TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Samsung LN40A530 that has no standby light and will…

Customer Question
I have a Samsung LN40A530...
I have a Samsung LN40A530 that has no standby light and will not turn on. Was reading the exchange another person had here regarding another model Samsung with same problem but not clear on what was done
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
11/30/2017
TV Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 4 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

The Main board is the one with the input connectors attached. The easiest way to resolve this is swap in a known good board, which you can obtain on a sale-or-return basis.

I'm sorry but that is most obvious and if I had one easily available and on a "try it" basis, I would have done it right away. I would have to locate one on the internet and most sources will not accept returns due to what may happen to the board. Also the shipping costs both ways and especially if you end up having to get the other board....it's a last resort in my case and increases the repair costs greatly.
I was hoping to pick up on an exchange I saw on this site with a "tech 1" regarding a similar Samsung 40". I was not sure about a couple of steps being used and accompanying photos. That tech advised the person to jumper the "power on" pin to the 5vdc pin or ground??? Not sure on this detail and whether he was keeping the connector (between main and PS boards) inserted or was it removed while trying this step. He also mentioned a relay "click" but I don't believe my model uses a relay so what other means of knowing if the step worked can be monitored?
The results were that one could tell for sure whether it would be the PS board or the main board.... which is what I really want to isolate without the ordering and taking a gamble subbing boards which you can't return (ie Ebay or others). Or... preferably, which component might be replaceable at a much lower end cost.
Until I can get to this conclusion.... I don't feel I've gained anything with this "Pay" approach to solving the problem.

Ok, let me open this up to the other techs...

I don't know how this site works and if you guys even know one another.... don't know if there was a name with the exchange I was referring to or if the photo of the tech is real or random. The photo on that thread was a fellow with a moustache if that helps reconnect to the one that seemed to be on the right track. I think it referenced him as Tech 1 but that may have nothing to do with the actual person. Thanks.

The exchanges are real, however I don't know what exchange you were reading unless you provide a link.

The thread came up at random to your site when I Googled the problem. Apparently there is no way to get back the page I was on since I went on to read other responses. If I could get in touch with the fellow referring to himself as Tech 1 and having a moustache and review any recent exchanges about 40" Samsung, I could find that thread. Seems you have no way of bringing up any techs recent assistance on a particular make and model... that would allow me to find that original discussion. Now I have to wait for another random tech that may not be any help either and meanwhile I'm losing time on this repair.

Can you try performing the same Google search again, or check your browser history?

Tried that several times and always come up with a different "story" ... same with history... never comes back to the one I was reading about before... when can I expect help from another "tech" ?And NO I would not pay extra to talk to someone on the phone as it would likely be another dead end and waste of money.

You can ignore any automated offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site.

Your question is still on the open question list for other experts to review.

May i request for TV Expert Dan, whose discussion with another customer about the same tv model I have, to answer this inquiry. Thank you.
Pete, Electronic Engineer