Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My 55" Visio Smart TV looks like it had a surge due to

Customer Question

Hi - My 55" Visio Smart TV looks like it had a surge due to lightning. I cable box had to be replaced already. I have tried all of the recommended ways to get the TV to come on with the new box. It appears it bid dead. If it was a lightning strick as it appears, what would be the cost to repair vs buying a new TV at $400-$500??
JA: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?
Customer: It was and the strip still works. All outlets it was plugged into still work too.
JA: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have some electronics repair experience and are you trying to do the repairs yourself?