TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I bought a sound bar, but I need to turn the audio off on my…

Customer Question
I bought a sound...

I bought a sound bar, but I need to turn the audio off on my Panasonic, and the option does not exist in the audio settings.

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your Panasonic TV connected tightly to the right sockets?

I'll check, but I think so. The Vizio tech I talked to thought it had to do with turning the audio off on the TV.

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

RCA

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I frankly don't know enough to answer that competently.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
11/28/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you please tell me the complete model number of the tv?

I thought I already had. TC-26LX70 isn't the full model number? There is another number under it: TC-32LX70.

OKay and you have rca (red/white) cords from the tv to the soundbar?

Thank you, ***** ***** sources/inputs are you using into the tv? For example a cable/satellite box via hdmi, dvd via rca cables, etc

We have DirecTV with AT&T.

I need to know specifically HOW that directv box is connected to the back of the tv? (which cords/port on the panasonic)

left to right, red, white, yellow in Input 2

Okay and you have the soundbar (red/white) connected to the OUTPUT ports on the panasonic?

I do now. Before I had them in the audio ports. I changed them, but the sound has not changed yet.

They should be in the output (right/left) ports on the back of the tv

They are now.
Will have to be gone for awhile. Sorry!

No problem, take your time.

I'm back.

Thank you, ***** ***** confirm you should have a the red/white out of the OUTPUT ports on back of the tv,

soundbar set to the analog input mode,

And still no sound?

Are you sure the directv box is not connected to the tv with a hdmi cable?

I'm pretty sure. I can see the three-colored wire behind the TV.

Look on the back of the dish box to make sure please

If the sound still is not working go into the panasonic menu under the system options and look for the PROG Out Stop function and set that to OFF

I can't find system options in the panasonic menu.

There is an options section in the menu, it is the last group of items after picture and sound

In my menu, I have the following list: My DirecTV, Search & Browse, Recordings, Setting & Help, and Connected. In the Setting menu, I have display, audio, internet setup, remote control, ... . So I think that menu is closest to the one your describe. From there I went into the remote control menu because I thought it might be the closest to my problem and found the following list: pair/program remote, copy settings, IR/RF setup, and Reset remote. What now?

You are not in the right menu, that is your satellite menu.

You need to be in the tv menu, which is accessed with the panasonic remote

With my Panasonic remote, the menu does not have an option as the last choice. It has settings, but nothing in there that has PROG out in it. It also has an EZ sync menu with sound output, but I cannot get into that menu with the remote arrows.

This is not part of the sound menu, you need to keep going, past the picture and sound options, it is under OPTIONS

There is no options on m Panasonic remote menu. The menu reads, from top to bottom EZ sync, Picture, Audio, Timer, Lock, Setup.

Go into Setup

The setup menu reads Language, Clock, Program channel, External Devices (I went in and turned them all on, to not avail.), CC, EX Sync Setting, Other Adjust, About, Reset.

Go into Other Adjust, and then from there you should see the Prog Out stop option, and set that to off

This is what my Adjust other menu give me: Auto power on, No signal shut-off, No action shut-off, Power save.

It should be there, based on the model number you gave me.

What do you see in the Ex Sync menu?

I have speaker output in the menu, but my up and down arrows do not work.

Try unplugging the soundbar cords from the tv then see if they will let you select

Unplugged them and tried to go down by using the arrows, but didn't work.

If the arrow buttons aren't working there is something else wrong with the tv. Try using the reset option from the menu, then start over and try the configuration again.

I reset it, but the arrow buttons still don't work.
I originally went to the Panasonic site to ask about this. I just received this answer:
Using the original remote control ​for the TV.
Press Menu
Go into the Audio Menu
Go into other Settings to turn the speakers off.
It worked. Now I will call the Vizio people again tomorrow to see what to do now.

Panasonic would not provide any help for this and vizio is unlikely to provide any help either,

The connections you have are fine, but you need to change some specific settings that you don't seem to be able to find or adjust.

In the absence of those settings, the next best option is to bypass the tv and connect the red/white cords directly to your satellite box instead.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

No. Turns out I was using the wrong wires to connect. After that, talking to the Vizio person solved everything.