TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Watching TV when it shut itself off and at the same time…

Customer Question
Watching TV when it...

Watching TV when it shut itself off and at the same time blew the circuit breaker. I unplugged the TV from the electric outlet, reset the breaker and plugged the TV back into the outlet. Sparks were seen in the back of the TV so I unplugged once again.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

The model # is PN60E6500EF, plasma display and it is about fours year old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your PN60E6500EF? What happened right before this?

I was just watching TV

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
11/27/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $145 (after the refundable $60 core charge):

https://www.tvserviceparts.com/BN44-00513A.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjO_QBRC4ARIsAD2FsXPobN_Ww_crgI0Ht3ObehH9goplZrGDFGpUl32E1ryF9HaCgIxsa48aAicNEALw_wcB

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $300-$350 parts and labor, which may or may not becost effective as a brand new 55" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?