TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

WHITE DOTS ARE APPEARING ON MY SAMSUNG TELEVISION. IT IS MY…

Customer Question
HI PEARL ... WHITE...

HI PEARL ... WHITE DOTS ARE APPEARING ON MY SAMSUNG TELEVISION. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT SAMSUNG WILL SEND A CHIP REPLACEMENT AS A ONE TIME COURTESY.

Technician's Assistant: What SAMSUNG model do you have? How old is it?

LET ME CHECK

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

YES

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your SAMSUNG? What happened right before this?

NOTHING ... A COUPLE OF WEEKS

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

WAIT GETTING MANUAL WITH SERIAL AND MODEL INFO

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/27/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you please tell me the model number of the tv?

HL67A510J1FXZA

Thank you for confirming.

What you are experiencing is symptomatic of failure of the DLP chip. This is a very common problem with all DLP based tvs. What is happening is that DLP chip, which contains millions of tiny actuated mirrors, starts to freeze up. Those "stuck" mirrors result in a white pixel on the screen. They cannot be unstuck or repaired, the entire dlp chip has to be replaced. You will continue to get more and more dots appearing, until they cover the screen.

There are many blogs and youtube videos detailing the process, if you're inclined to do it yourself, though I would not attempt it unless you are skilled and experienced with electronics repairs – you can easily do more harm than good. It is about a $200 part. About half the time, the underlying formatter board (about another $100) also has to be replaced.If you have a local tv tech out to do it, figure on around $300-500 total for the repair.

Because of the age (this is a 2008 model, double its service life), samsung would not be expected to cover any costs related to it. They did at one point, but discontinued that program about 4 years ago. You could certainly still try calling samsung customer service, but I would not expect them to do anything for you at this point.

If you'd like, I can help with finding the parts, finding a repair shop, or even recommending replacement models if you'd prefer to go with a new tv instead. Personally, I'd move on to a new set at this point, given the age it simply isn't worth investing in as any fix at this point will be short lived. Other parts like the light engine will continue to fail and need more and more repairs and end up costing more than you'd spend on a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty.

My apologies for the news,

WHITE DOTS + COLOR PICXLS? I READ THAT SAMSUNG WILL REPLACE THE MICROCHIP WHICH WILL CORRECT THIS

They did, at one point, many many years ago.

This is a 10 year old tv at this point, it is now at twice the service life for which it was designed and they are no longer supporting or warranting it in any way.

There was a recall on it, about 8 years ago, and a period of time when they would have helped, but that has long since passed.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.