TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an LG tv that keeps turning itself on just started…

Customer Question
I have an LG...

I have an LG tv that keeps turning itself on just started yesterday. tv is 6 years old. took all batteries out of the remotes. still happens. unplugged tv for 5 min. plugged back in. still turns on.

Technician's Assistant: What LG model do you have? How old is it?

Checked timers, still. hold on

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

All sources? i'm only using the HDMI. and the tv itself goes on. turned off cable box, still happens

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your LG? What happened right before this?

I have the 47SL90

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Started happening last night

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
11/27/2017
TV Technician: Richard, Technician replied 7 months ago
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you disconnect it from all devices eg: Cable box, DVD ect

And tell me if it still does this please?

I did that last night and it still does. I’n At work now. I also deactivated Wi-Fi Incase it was via the Roku device.

Thanks

Have you done a full reset of the TV via the menu?

No. I’ll try that tonight...but was thinking that would be last resort. Have you found any other instances of this? I checked online and found most people have the issue with it turning off and on. Not just on. And was hoping it was via dying remote batteries sending signal...

Yes I have, it is either the firmware that's the issue which the reset will fix, or it is the mainboard and this will need to be replaced.

These are the only two possibilities left for this issue.

How much for the mainboard? I'm asking because I realize tv's are very inexpensive. The model I have gives an excellent picture and am wondering how the specs compare to the newer, cheaper models offered.

This will be about $100 plus installation.

But the 4K TV's available have a much higher quality then what you currently have

Any suggestions? I'd upgrade to 55 or 60' for less than $1,500. Obviously a lot of them are on sale now, but I don't want a model that was produced just for this promotional/holiday season.

Size is up to you of course, just make sure it is 4K with HDR, these are the two important aspects.