TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The tv works the picture just doesn't show. SAMSUNG Model…

Customer Question
The tv works the...

The tv works the picture just doesn't show

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

SAMSUNG Model number LN46D630M3FXZA

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes it just has sound and it turns light grey when its on

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your LN46D630M3FXZA? What happened right before this?

Nothing and it's been going on since I got it

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No I got it from a friend for free so its a Samsung tv that was giving to me

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
11/26/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are you able to see the samsungs own menu screens at all?

no
I'm not able to see the menu at all
sir

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.