TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I am trying to hook up my sound bar but it’s just hissing.

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to hook up my sound bar but it’s just hissing

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your speaker or sound system?

Boston TVee 25

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your sound system?

It worked at my old house but not here... plug it in to the audio out and audio in on tv

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
11/25/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Please get me the model number off the back of the TV.

Are you there

Yes, I asked for the model number off the back of the TV at 4:56 and haven't received anything yet?

Sharp Aquos lc-46le540u

Thanks. Please give me a few minutes to look it up.

Thx

The only two audio outs on the TV are the single "Digital audio output" on the back, and the headphone jack on the of the TV. The red and whites are for "component input"- they're not outputs. Where are you plugged into on the TV?

I used the aud in and out with a single wire

There's no aux out on the TV. Please re-read my reply and postback with specifics.

If you're using a single wire then you need to plug into the "headphone" jack on the SIDE OF THE TV- not the AUDIO PC/HDMI 1/8" jack on the back.

The Headphone jack on the side of the TV is the ONLY jack you can get sound from using an auxiliary cable (single cable). Try that- the jack actually says "headphones" next to it. Let me know what happens.

Still hissing

Then something's not working right. You're plugged into the headphone jack on the TV and the AUXILIARY jack on the soundbar? Turn the TV volume up- where's the audio coming from?

I get sound now but it really scratchy
muffled

That's the only sound you'll get from the TV- maybe your cable is bad?

But it works fine when the sound bar is not connected

Try another cable- if the sound is still bad then either the soundbar speakers have dry rotted, or the audio out jack on the TV is dirty. Those are the correct jacks to be connected to- poor sound indicates something else.

So a new 1/8" auxiliary cable should be tried and if the issue goes beyond that then the issue is related to a fault in the soundbar or the inside of the jack on the TV.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Will do one question can I connect it to the audio red and white cables

No, the red and white audio jacks on the TV are for Inputs- they are not outputs.

Ok thx

You're welcome! Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance?