TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My panasonic sc-ht995w only works when i press and hold the…

Customer Question
My panasonic sc-ht995w only...

My panasonic sc-ht995w only works when i press and hold the input selector button . if i release the button it stops working. It does this on all inputs including radio tuner, aux, d-in, tv...

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Its not a tv its a home theatre system

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes, I just explained it above.. Do you want me to C&p and send it again?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this?

My panasonic home theatre system Model: sc-ht995w only works when i press and hold the input selector button . if i release the button it stops working. It does this on all inputs including radio tuner, aux, d-in, tv...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Its not a TV I'm asking for help wit ahome theatre system

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
Its also weird... The 'MEMORY' button (to the left of the 'SELECTOR' button) sometimes 'swaps roles' with SELECTOR and actually becomes the SELECTOR button. When this happens, the SELECTOR button no longer does anything - if I press it nothing happens, but I can scroll through the various inputs by pressing the MEMORY button. If I stop and HOLD the MEMORY button on the desired input, it works - normal surround sound comes out of all speakers and the remote control works normally, but only while I hold the MEMORY button down. If I release it, it all goes quiet and I have to use the MEMORY button to scroll through all selections until I arrive at input I want and HOLD the button down so it plays sound...
Then sometimes, after a while the system stops working.
If I turn it off and let it rest for a while and switch it back on, it might work again, but I have to try pressing and HOLDING either the SELECTOR or MEMORY button down to make it work!
BTW: I use a piece of sticky tape to hold the button (MEMORY or SELECTOR - whichever one works).
Occasionally though it will return to 'normal', where everything works as it should - no holding down with sticky tape needed, but after playing for a few hours it will eventually start 'acting up' again and I have to try pressing and holding the MEMORY or SELECTOR buttons to force it to work.
I hope you've heard of this one before - but I suspect you haven't?
However, one thing you will have is knowledge of how this Panasonic (SC-HT995w) Home Theatre System and it's front panel buttons work, so you can probably figure out what is most likely to be the problem and why they are not doing what they should.
I am too afraid to even remove the cover, in case it does even more damage - at the moment at least it still works, if I press the right button and HOLD it in.
Answered in 1 day by:
11/26/2017
TV Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 6 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

the problem hasn't gone away...

Unfortunately, it sounds like there is an internal failure and the setup is over 10 years old so it would cost more to repair it than to buy a new surround sound setup.

That's very helpful NOT. I was hoping someone could help to repair it, rather than REPLACE (at great expense - that I cannot afford), as seems to be a 'simple' problem - 'the setup' is old yes, but it still works - so there can't be too much wrong with it.
Why don't you just admit that you don't know anymore than I do about how to diagnose and rectify the fault?
Goodbye.

OK