TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

None of my HDMI ports are working on my 55 55 inch tv. Its…

Customer Question
Hi none of my...

Hi none of my HDMI ports are working on my 55 55 inch tv

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Its probably about 6 or 7 years old smart tv

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes them menu works i have tried all 4 hdmi ports and none work

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this?

It has been fine for many years. we moved the tv to another room and i attached a firestick at first i was able to connect only to one or the other now i can't get the hdmi to work at all

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
The model cide
of my tv is un55c7000wfXZA
11/24/2017
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 6 months ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with it, I need more info to troubleshoot the problem.
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

i have a cable box attached that is it
Ouch and a wireless adapter

OK, can you please try another video source such as Bluray player or gaming console into HDMI input of TV?

This will verify the TV.

I can plug in a fire stick to the same hdmi port and it works
But I’ll f I plug in the cable hdmi it doesnt
Yet again f I plug this same cable hdmi into a different tv it works there

Nice, that means TV itself is fine and problem would be within cable box.

- Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

It is still not working

This is odd, did you reboot TV and cable box exactly as requested in previous reply?

I did. I unplugged both from power and from each other for 10 mins

OK, does the same cable box work on another TV?

Also, can you try a different HDMI cord between TV and cable box?

I connect the same cable box with the same cord to another tv and it works
I have tried a different cord and that made no difference

This is odd, let me invite other experts to look into this issue so reposting this question for other experts.

TV Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 6 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Hi harry yes I still need help

I would like to summarize what is going on:

The HDMI ports work if you use a Firestick or streaming device. If you use the HDMI cable, it won't work but if you take that same cable and plug it into another TV, it works there.

Does that sound accurate?

that is correct

Now if you take that same device that won't work on the TV and connect it to the other TV, does it work?

I have a cable box with an hdmi cable. I attach the hdmi cable to a different tv and it works. I attach it to this tv and it doesn’t work. The source is not able to detect the connection

Yes, I understand the cable works on another TV.

Does that cable box work on another TV?

If you attach different HDMI cables to that TV, does it recognize any of them?

I’ve tried a different cable and it still doesn’t work.

Have you tried a factory reset yet?

found online that I can hit mute-1-8-2-power and get to the factory reset option so tried that but did not work. I also did a software upgrade and no diff

I am stumped on this one. I would say that the ports are faulty but you said it works with your firestick without any issues.

Have you tried all HDMI ports?

i have tried all the HDMI ports

I am completely out of ideas on this one.

How old is the TV?

7 years old

To be honest, I am stumped at this point.

I would recommend having someone locally come out to take a look at it because there are not anymore suggestions that I could try.