TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Its an LG 3D HD 55" only 4 or 5 years old. Last night it…

Its an LG 3D...

Its an LG 3D HD 55" only 4 or 5 years old. Last night it stopped putting out a picture. I thought it was the cable box so I swapped that out today (Comcast office is minutes away). Still no on-screen signal. Unplugged TV to reboot and no response.

Technician's Assistant: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?

It hasn't ever happened. I've not tried leaving it unplugged for hours.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Tried to play a DVD. Again no on-screen signal and no response from any device.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

New issue. We watched a DVD last nite after watching some cable TV. When the movie ended the screen went black and I can't get anything on-screen.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That seems to be it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Nathan, Installer
Can You tell me the model number of the tv please?
Had to get behind it. 55LW5700

Thank you

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or backlight component, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is right at the end of its designed service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

I'll do the diagnostic as you directed. Thanks.

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

Nathan, Installer
The reboot worked. TV is alive again. Thanks!!!Jay/Olympia

Thanks Jay, glad to hear that did the trick for you!