TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

It will not come on ,it makes a clicking noise. I think so.

it will not come on...
it will not come on ,it makes a clicking noise .
JA: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?
Customer: I think so
JA: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?
Customer: yes ,I left it unplugged all day .
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: it started out by ,cutting off by itself and then it would come back on . But am it never came on .
11/23/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you please tell me the actual model number of the tv? This can be found on a sticker on the back of the tv.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
un55d6400uf
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
UN55d6400UF
Thank you. Please send only one message and allow me time to receive it and respond.Does the tv respond to its own onboard power button?
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
had not tried it
Can you please try for me?
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
sure
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I have to plug it back up ,be back in a few .
O
Okay
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
no it does not respond .

Thanks for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I had read that there was a known issue with capacitors going bad .

Those issues were largely resolved in the 2010 and later models, that is not a cause of your symptoms which are going to be from the main board.

In either case though, given the age, it is probably not fixing anyway. Any fix at this point will be short lived as other parts will continue to fail and need more and more investment. These tvs truly are not designed to last longer than this so this type of failure right around the 5 year mark is completely normal.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
ok ,thanks . I guess I'll check in on a new one .

That is what I would recommend.

If you want to fix it though, you'd be replacing the main board as a starting point and I can help with finding parts, if you prefer.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I don't think I'll mess with it .

In general, I recommend LED tv's for most of my clients. They have good picture quality and are reasonably priced. I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2y5noSz

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.
Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
thank you and have a happy Thanksgiving !

You're very welcome, and happy thanksgiving to you too!

Nathan, Installer