TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Unlike previous Samsung tv unable to push sound through

older audio receiver connected to...
Unlike previous Samsung tv unable to push sound through older audio receiver connected to whole house speakers. Set up of RCA connectors is same.
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: This is a new tv
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu works but can't get any sound out other than through tv. When I pull connectors from back of tv I do get a hum or buzz through house speakers
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: right from the start. I just bought this one 30 days ago
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: all other operation is good
11/23/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Please provide the model number off of the back of the TV! New TV's use a different jack for audio out- I need to be able to look it up. Let me know.

Is this a new Samsung TV you're connecting to?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Un40h5003bfxza

Thanks. This TV doesn't use RCA red and white for "audio out"- those are for Inputs (they don't work both ways). The TV's audio out is "Digital Audio out" and uses an optical cable. For connection to older stereos you need a converter that plugs into the digital audio out. I am pulling that up now.

The converter (along with an optical cable) can be purchased at the link below through Best Buy. You will connect an optical cable to the TV's optical port (digital audio out), then run the other end to the converter. From the converter you can then simply connect the RCA red and white cables to your stereo:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-optical-coaxial-digital-to-analog-converter-black/4226000.p?skuId=4226000&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=2506&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=711e3d4c-e2ed-4d8f-a838-f8a895f326d7&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg252604&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3dTQBRDnARIsAGKSfll8U0Ml_jdNV0pgt96gGjURlYdPjZTA-FMpxyUyD2a1FilxmVe1vHQaAn0_EALw_wcB

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok thank. I'll look into this!

You're welcome!

Aric, Technician
Aric, Technician