TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a black screen on Samsung plasma. PS51E530 - 2012. No…

Customer Question
Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a black screen on Samsung plasma

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

PS51E530 - 2012

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No menu (black screen) - red led is blinking - same whatever the sources

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

TV was working since 5 minutes - then big noise ("bang") and then black screen with red led blinking

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
11/22/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand that blinking light points to a hardware fault in the TV- which requires service in most cases.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

I tried twice without any change...

That's bad news. Does that light start blinking as SOON AS the TV is plugged in? Or does it occur only AFTER the power button is pressed?

Are you still with me here?

It is starting blinking as soon as TV is plugged in.

That directly indicates the Mainboard has failed and requires replacement, which is on average a $300 repair on this set (both parts and labor inclusive). The only other thing you can try is to leave the set unplugged for several hours or more (overnight is best), in the hopes that the processor resets. However beyond that it does relate to hardware failures, which may or may not be cost effective (given the price of newer LED sets).

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

TV Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 7 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Hello are you here?
I made the following checks on my TV, could you please confirm the faulty board?1) Power supply board:
- I disconnected it from all the other board. I shorted the PS_on to ground and VS_on to 5V and got Va & VS at good levels.
- When I connect power supply board to X board and Main board but with Y board disconnected, when I switch on the TV I have Va VS first and then they both decrease to 0 Volt.
- When all is connected I have Va and VS 0 Volt.
- The red Led is blinking once TV is plugged in and before switching on with button. The red light can stay on if we use the remote controler to put TV in standby.
- The logic board has a green led wich is blinking 2 seconds off - 5 seconds on.=> Do you confirm the Main board is faulty (If I well understood this is the board with all HDMI inputs) ?
Thanks

To answer your question: Yes

Ok. I have ordered a board on ebay. I will receive it mid of next week, I keep you posted.
JB

Thank you

Do you why the va and vs decrease with all the boards connected: is it because there is a short on main board = so the power supply board is seeting itself in protect mode?

Yes, it is likely due to the short.

Hello
I changed the mainboard.
Now when I plug in the TV, the red LED is fixed before I switch on the button.
When I switch on, the red LED is blinking and the TV has still a black screen and is not working.What could you propose now as a way forward?
Thanks
JB

At this point, you are going to continue spending money on a TV when you could buy a new one for cheaper that comes with a 1 year warranty.

A Y board is 60euros on ebay, a Y buffer is 15 euros.
I am not sure I could find a brand new 55" plasma or equivalent for less than 75 euros...JB