TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

From what I've read on the net, it seems the backlight

From what I've read...

From what I've read on the net, it seems the backlight inverter board is bad on my Sanyo 41" but I can't seem to find it. I found an LED driver board, but I'm not sure if that is the same

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Sanyo is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's around 5 - 7 years old. Model # FVE-3923

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Not that I can see. The screen is black, but I have sound. And yes, on all input sources

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

A few days now. Nothing special. Turned it off one night, was doing this the next morning

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Your set is an LED, so it does not have a backlight inverter (those are for CFFL lamps in LCD sets). So yes, the LED driver AS WELL AS the power supply board work in tandem to provide the lighting to the screen. The issue could be either board, and the only way to narrow it down further is to use a multi-meter and test the power supply's independent output that feeds the LED driver.

If you're not comfortable measuring live voltages, then you would want to purchase the power board and the LED driver board and replace one at a time until the issue is fixed (and in most cases you can return the unused board to the vendor).

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

I have measured the voltage leaving the power supply board going to the LED Driver board and it seems to be correct. It has 24v printed on the board and I'm reading that voltage where I should be

That is perfect and it rules out the power supply board, so you would want to replace the LED driver.

I thought so, but just wanted some confirmation. Thank you!

You're very welcome! Could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
One last question, I see there are a couple of electrolytic caps on that board. Are those usually what goes bad on them?

Not in my experience, and the only way to test is using an in circuit capacitance meter.

ok, i have a bunch so I thought I would just try to replace them and see. I'll find a replacement board. Thanks again!

It's worth a shot if you've got the time!

Aric, Technician