TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Samsung 55" flat screen tv and their are 2

Customer Question
I have a Samsung...

I have a Samsung 55" flat screen tv and their are 2 horizontal strips (one at very bottom one in the upper part of the picture). These strips are darker than the rest of the picture.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

I bought it 1 year ago in May. Don't know the model number. It's a smart HD type.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Same problem on all sources

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just noticed it a couple months ago. Don't know of anything happening to cause this.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
11/21/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Could you please get the model number from the back of the tv for me?

Are you saying it was purchased in may of 2017?

I am not at home right now so can't get the model number. Can I get back to you later or tomorrow with that information and if so how? I was bought in May of 2016

Yes that would be just fine,

just bookmark/favorite this page to get back with me at your convenience.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Have been out of town and out of touch. My TV model number is *****

Thank you for confirming,

if you bring up the samsungs own menu screens, do those have the dark bands too?

Thank you for confirming,

Are you certain about the purchase date? I ask because this is a 2013 model tv.

Regardless of the actual age though, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty tcon or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points including the lcd panel (which is not repairable). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. This is assuming it is only a board, there is a good chance you'd put that money into it and it still would not work and would then be down to a panel failure, which is not repairable.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

OK, I'll give that a try, if not I'll replace it. Thanks!
You’re very welcome and best of luck to you!