TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I'm unable to get channels on my LG TV. Ran the channel scan…

Customer Question
I'm unable to get...

I'm unable to get channels on my LG TV. Ran the channel scan and it still says no channel data.

Technician's Assistant: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?

No, this has not happened before and no I have not tried unplugging it for a few hours.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The menu does not come up when I press it.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I thought I just hit the wrong channel on the remote because it went to snow like what happens when it's off the right channel on the remote. This has been going on for a few days, but I just now had a chance to focus on it. I can still get Netflix and Amazon and the Checks say the Wi-FI and cable are connected.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Is there a charge for this service? If so, how much?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/20/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

To be clear, this is a paid support service, it is not free help.

Can you please tell me the complete model number from the back of the tv?
What do you actually have connected to it right now? A cable/satellite box, basic cable, or an antenna?

Hi Nathan,Great name, same as my favorite nephew. Thanks for feeling sorry for my technical limitations. I have a cable box connected to the TV right now.Model Number: 50LH5730-UA
I don't want to call in - I was just hoping to get an answer via typing.
I’m not asking you to. That is an ad from the site and you may ignore it.Can you tell me exactly where on the back of the tv the box is connected?
HDM1 is where the cable is connected on the back of the TV
Okay then take the lg remote and press the INPUT button on it, repeatedly, to choose hdmi 1 option and let me know if that works
Yep, tried that before and then just now and everything looks good except for when I press Menu it won’t come up.

Okay this can be a box issue or a tv issue. Please unplug power to the cable box for at least 5 minutes,

replug, and test again.

If no change, I'd need you to check something else on the tv next such as a dvd player and see if that works or not.

Tried the unplugging and plugging back in. No change.

I don’t have a DVD player. Netflix and Amazon work just no channels. I tried auto tuning and that didn’t restore channels either?

Auto tuning would not make any difference, that is only used with an antenna.

At this point you have either a bad hdmi port (or cord) or a bad cable box. If you could test something else on this tv, then we can properly isolate and diagnose the issue.

The internal apps working is irrelevant to this. Do you have another cable box in another room perhaps?

Hey Nathan,It's working! I disconnected the cable box and cleaned everything again and the Input changed to antennae so I changed it back to HDM1 and it worked. Thanks for your help.
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago

Great! Glad to hear that did the trick for you!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,