TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My samsung 6400 tv has sound but no picture. Model#

my samsung 6400 tv has...
my samsung 6400 tv has sound but no picture
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: model# ***** less than 3 yrs old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I can hear that it works but cannot see anything
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just happened no incidents I was just watching a show.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
11/20/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Please tell me everything that is connected into the tv:
-cable/satellite/antenna
-bluray/dvd
-surround sound/sound bar
-others

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
there is a cable connection. thats it
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
no phone

Is that a cable box? that you control with a cable company provided remote?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
it has a cable box samsung remote

Who is your cable company?

Are you SURE you have a cable box?

Are you SURE you do not change channels/view guide using a cable company remote?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
time warner is the cable co. I use the Samsung TV provided remote. It has a Explorer 4640HDC cable provided box.

Please reboot the tv AND cable box by unplugging the power cords for 3 full minutes.
While they are unplugged, reseat the audio/video/hdmi cables on the back of the AND back of the cable box.
Let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Did as you said. It rebooted, with sound but no picture.

Is the screen all black? or all blue? or error message?

If you press MENU on the original Samsung tv remote, does anything come up on the tv screen?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The screen is blueish/violet. The menu button does nothing.

Since unplugging didn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires parts inside the tv be replaced. Starting with the tcon board. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (previous electronics experience is required on your part). Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop. In home repairs start at $250 on this model and most shops charge just for diagnosis. So you may want to compare that to prices of new 50" tv's.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician