TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I can’t change anything. Tc-p42 u1. March 2009 no nothing

I can’t change anything JA: What's...
I can’t change anything
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Tc-p42 u1
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: March 2009 no nothing works on it. Husband manually put menu on but nothing works
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: All day, we were watching a recording husband pushed menu button and it went to component 2 and is frozen there. Right now the screen is black
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don’t think so
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

When you say "a recording"- you must be referring to some sort of Cable DVR correct?

If so, what Input on the TV is the cable DVR plugged into?

Also do you have the original TV remote nearby?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Correct
Everything plugged into component 1
Yes I have the remote

Okay, so you're connected to Component 1, but yet the TV is frozen on Component 2?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No I don’t want to do that so please take me off your list. I will pay the 5.00 but nothing else.
Thank You

Note that the site will send you a phone call offer- that is NOT from me. It is sent without my consent and I am not available by phone. To see MY REPLY, "X" out of the offer and view the page that we have been typing on. Also note that any offers for subscriptions or promotions are NOT something I am privy to. I am an independent tech and am only paid with a positive rating for my service. If you understand, please simply say "I Understand" on this page, and we can continue with your Tech issue.

Again, so you're connected to Component 1, but yet the TV is frozen on Component 2- is that correct?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
That is correct

Thank you. Please try the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and unplug its power cord. Then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release.

2) Unplug the power cord from the cable box for 10 seconds and plug it back in.

3) Plug the TV back in and after the cable box has had a few minutes to reboot- turn it on and attempt to select Component 1. Let me know what happens please.

Please try those steps posted above and let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It went to first time set up but I can’t chane anything

That's bad news. This (as well as the initial symptoms), indicates the TV's Mainboard has failed. The only thing you can try on a user level is to try those reset steps again. Beyond that this is a hardware failure in the set. I'm searching now to see if that part is available.

If you're looking to repair the set yourself, this is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $120 (but is currently showing as out of stock):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-txn-a1ekuus-a-board-for-tc-p42u1.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank You for your help.

You're welcome and best of luck!

Aric, Technician