TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The remote has stopped working. LC-70le650u Maybe 4-5 years…

Customer Question
The remote has stopped...

The remote has stopped working

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

LC-70le650u Maybe 4-5 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No nothing is working. Power volume nothing I can't use the input either

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Since last night. My son hooked up his psp But he said the power wasn't working before then

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

My comcast remote volume won't work either coincidentally

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/19/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are you saying that the tv doesn't even turn on at this point?

Will it respond to its own onboard buttons on the tv itself?

It won't turn on with the tv or Comcast remote at all but turns on with the buttons on the tv itself

Okay,

Lets try a quick test of the factory remote. Take the tv remote into a dim/dark room, and look at the infrared emitter at the front edge of the remote, as viewed through the DISPLAY (not the viewfinder) of a digital camera. A cell phone cam, web cam, security camera, etc will also work. Each time you press a button on the remote, you should see the emitter at the front light up, flash, or glow slightly. Let me know what you find.

It dims slightly red

Thanks, ***** ***** that the remote itself is fine (confirmed by the cable remote not working either) which then means that there is an internal hardware failure in the tv itself, either a bad ir sensor or a bad main/control board.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point and size, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $1000 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Ok thanks I will try the reset. If that work I need to see if this is under warranty still

The factory warranty is only a year, so unless you had purchased an extended warranty from a 3rd party I would not expect that it is covered.

I might have bought it through Best Buy for longer

Best buy does sell extended warranties, usually through warrantech. They generally require that you have a copy of the original receipt, which has your warranty plan info on it, and the contact number for warrantech to file a claim.

Ok thank you. I will look for that and see what I purchased

You're very welcome, and good luck!