Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Got a black square on the right lower corner of my Pioneer

Customer Question

got a black square on the right lower corner of my Pioneer PDP 6090
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 10years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: same on all
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: been coming back reg
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: year but now it is permanent
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

So if you bring up the pioneer menu screens, the box shows over top of it? Or can it be seen behind the menu screens?

Does it ever go away (intermittent) or is it there permanently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is always there and on top with a few green lines changing in to white
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty plasma panel or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Though it was a top of the line model when new, this tv is now about double its service life and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, assuming it is only a board failure. If the panel is bad, as I suspect, that is not even possible to fix, at any cost.

For a tv of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $700 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.