TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Samsung plasma manufactured in 2007, model

I have a Samsung...

I have a Samsung plasma manufactured in 2007, model HPT4254X/XAA. It would start, then the picture would black and clicking sound ensued. I checked the bn44-00161A power board and there was a bulged capacitor, which I replaced. The problem persists. The screen starts then goes black and the clicking sound begins. What should I do next?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Model : HP-T4254

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

The problem began a week ago and the TV has been useless since.

11/19/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The clicking sound is a telltale sign (it's not caused by the power board). The clicking IS a relay on the power board cycling on/off, BUT it is caused by the Mainboard sending a faulty "turn on" command (this was also posted in the Samsung tech notes for the "capacitor issue" from 2009). So to fix your set- you actually need to replace the Mainboard.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Aric,
I purchased the board you recommended from the URL you provided. I just had a chance to install it today. Unfortunately, the new board did not fix the symptoms. The Samsung still goes to a black screen after a few minutes and begins the clicking sound. What next?
George