TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Half the screen is different colors. 2 years old. Problem on…

Customer Question
Half the screen is...

Half the screen is different colors

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

2 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Problem on all sources

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Yes menu works

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Has been an issue on and off for about 1 year

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
11/19/2017
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 5 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Are you able to get the model number off the back of the tv? If not:

-brand

-size

-type

Are you having website difficulties preventing you from replying?

Locating information
Samsung LED65
65 inch

How long have you had the tv?

Approx 2 years; been having the issue on and off for 1 year

What have you tried so far? any resets? or?

Tried all.. also why was I charged $23, agreed to $5

I cannot discuss billing here. This chat is only for helping you with your tv issue. You should probably go to the website help pages to get an understanding of how this website works. Then let me know if you still agree to continue here.

Keep in mind, if your tv is out of warranty, having a local tv repair shop come to your house to advise you will cost $130.

I do not understand three question marks. That is not communication. As just posted:

Ok so what’s next Mike?

You said you "tried all". Please be more specific. What exact steps have you done so far?

Reset picture settings, turned TV off, tried other sources, also reconnected wires to TV.

How about unplugging the tv POWER cord for 3 minutes?

I will try; stand by

ok

Did not work. The TV for the past year has had this issue, and after leaving it on for a period of time (5 mins - 2 hours) the picture would fix itself. But as of late, the issue has gotten worse; i.e more frequent and takes longer to fix itself.

When you say half the screen, is that left/right or top/bottom?

Left
Exactly half the left side of the TV screen

Since unplugging didn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires parts inside the tv be replaced. Starting with the Tcon board. If you want to DIY, let me know and I can help you with that here so you can possibly save hundreds of dollars in labor fees. Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop. In home labor rates start at $250 so it is still worth at least having the tv looked at.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Hello, just checking back to see if you still need help or want to show your appreciation by submitting a 5 star rating.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician