TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It made a pop sound & shut off completely. Will not turn on.

Customer Question
It made a pop...

It made a pop sound & shut off completely

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Will not turn on

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Visio 55 inch

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It does not turn on, it will not turn on

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Model number M552i-B2

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/19/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand the pop sound indicates an electrical short occurred within the TV, and I would suggest unplugging it and not plugging it back in until it's repaired. If there are currently no signs of life on the set at all, then the pop typically would be an IC regulator, or other component failure on the power supply board (which requires replacement of that board to fix the issue).

If you're looking to repair the set yourself- this is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $60:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-056-04167-1011-power-supply-unit.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-250 parts and labor, which may or may not be cost effective as a brand new 55" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Please view my reply for the answer to your question.