TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My screen just went black. I’ve rebooted a couple of times.

Customer Question
My screen just went...

My screen just went black. I’ve rebooted a couple of times. I have sound but no picture. Is it my TV tube gone?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Hold on I have to check the model #

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Model #UN32H5203

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just happened half hour ago and I had taped a program and put it on and 5 minutes in the picture went black.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Above my screen, in the last couple of weeks it said that there was an new update but I didn’t know how to update my tv

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/19/2017
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Exactly HOW did you reboot the tv?

By unplugging the next box for 10 seconds and it rebooted
Now I have no sound or picture
Hello are you there?????
Mike G are you there????

Stepped away, back now

Please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-wait 3 full minutes then plug in the tv power cord and try to turn on using the button on the tv and remotes. (button on tv may be located on rear of tv)

REPLY back here and tell me what happens.

I unplugged the tv for 3 minutes and can’t find the button on the rear of the tv
Hello>.>>>
Is anybody there??????
Please respond

The button is on the rear, in the corner towards the bottom.

Ok still not working. I give up.
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

can you please try holding a flashlight up to the screen and let me know if you are able to make out any images or even the tvs own menus that way?

Nothing

Thanks for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty tcon board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, this is a pretty typical service life for these sets.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $200 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

The red light keeps blinking and now it’s off

Please follow the steps I mentioned above

Thank you so much Nathan for your quick response. I will try one last time by unplugging for 1 hour and then do other things that you suggested. If that doesn’t work, then I’ll buy a new television. Again, many thanks.
You are very welcome and best of luck to you!