TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a LN 40. Samsung LN40A750 and the screen is black…

Customer Question
I have a LN...

I have a LN 40

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Samsung LN40A750 and the screen is black when turning on.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

No idea, sorry.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Just the red dot showing. I have never used this tv

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
11/18/2017
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 5 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Please explain - You have never used this tv? It wasn't ever working?

I imagine it was working before. This was given to me by a friend.
I already paid $5 to help me, now another $25??
$5 paid for helping me. Please help.

I am just a technician assigned to help you with technical issues. I have nothing to do with billing. Please see the website help pages for billing issues.

If you want to continue in this chat- You knew it was broken when the friend gave it to you?

No I didn't know.
apparently I paid $28 and they want another $28 to call. I know it isn't your problem but there it is
Wow - thanks for nothing
I get help within 24 hours after I paid? Really?
To be clear, my PayPal was charged $26 when thought I was only being charged $5. Then after you say, let’s chat, I scroll to click call and it says another charge for $26 to call. Please tell me what is going on.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I'm Nathan, a different tech, and can help you with this.

The other tech opted out of the question. I'm sorry that he didn't bother to explain to you what was happening.

I would be happy to help if you'd like. To be clear though, this is a paid support service and it is not and never was only $5. That was just to post your question, the total amount you were charged is what you agreed to on the payment page. As I'm sure you can understand, you couldn't realistically get help from a licensed and trained tech for $5 or less.

The call function you are seeing is an automated ad by the site, it is not sent by me and is entirely optional. What you paid covers the chat here, we can talk by phone if you prefer, but that is an added cost.

To continue on here, via the chat, can you tell me if you are seeing a solid or flashing light on the front? Are you getting any sound?

Thank you, ***** ***** in haste. Solid when left alone, blinks on then off when hit power button. Acts pretty dead.

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is at double its service life at this point and lcd technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

We will try this thx.

You are very welcome, and best of luck to you!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer