TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

HDMI HDTV 32" Audio works...screen is black. C. Can not

Customer Question
HDMI HDTV 32"...

HDMI HDTV 32" Audio works...screen is black

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the HDTV's exact make and model?

C

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Can not locate owners man.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

2 days

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/18/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Could you please tell me the brand name and the actual model number of the tv? You'll find the model on a sticker on the back, usually near the power cord.

Hdmi, hdtv, and 32" are all just features.

VIZIO VK32L HDTV10A
Sorry..VIZIO VX32L HDTV10A

Thank you for the information,

and are you able to see the vizios own menu screens at all?

No screen completely black. Volume and source are controllable but no menu is displayed.

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this tv is many times its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, in the $200 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,