TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

There is no sound. I tried resetting it to factory default…

Customer Question
Hello! There is...

Hello! There is no sound. I tried resetting it to factory default settings and there is still no sound. The volume is up, the mute is not activated and I tried the sound test as well.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

It is about two years old. Model number UN55H6300

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The tv menu works. There is only one input.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It happened once before and then all of the sudden it started working again. All connections seem to be secure.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that’s it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/18/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

When you tried the sound test was there sound?

Also, what is connected to the TV for the ONE input- is it a cable box?

Let me know!

There was no sound on the sound test.Yes it is a cable box.

Okay, no sound on the sound test tells us the TV is the root cause, and this is a hardware issue occurring on the Mainboard (which is something we've seen many times with Samsung- among others). In some cases this requires replacement of the Mainboard to ultimately fix the issue for good.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally (with sound). Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

I tried it once so far and it says welcome and is powering up.Sorry for the wait

No problem, and take your time. Fingers crossed!

Okay. First time it didn’t work.
Also closed captioning is still on. How can I get rid of that before I try the restart procedure again?

Closed captioning is generally produced by the cable box- not the TV. Try rebooting the cable box as well.

Okay...I will do both now.

Alright, standing by.

The second time didn’t work. There is still no sound

Please try the sound test again so we can determine if the cable box or TV is the root cause here.

There is no sound when I do the sound rest
Test

Unfortunately this is bad news and indicates the issue is internal to the TV. The last thing you can try on a user level is to leave the set unplugged for a length of time in the hopes it resets (several hours or more).

If the issue persists, then the mainboard requires replacement (which is on average a $250 repair on this set). If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively if you're a DIY type and looking to repair this yourself- let me know and I will search for a link to the part.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Thank you for trying. I appreciate the help.

You're welcome, and best of luck with the set.

Also, you paid the website a deposit to work with me, but I am not actually paid unless you click a positive rating. Could you do that for me please?

Do you need further assistance with this?