TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Vizio model 50PDP10 and my problem is that I

Customer Question
Hi. I have...

Hi. I have a Vizio model 50PDP10 and my problem is that I cancelled DirecTV and want to use an indoor antenna to watch local channels only on DTV mode. I get the "No Signal" promt. I already scanned for channels and did not solve problem. Also disconnected TV from outlet, reset the TV and still not able to fix the problem. Can you help?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

50PDP10 and it is about 2009 model.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

It works, other sources work perfect. I actually have two identical TV's that I purchased the same day. The other tv worked great the first time I switched to coax cable to use the indoor antenna and I can watch several DTV channels

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It has been an issue since I discontinued the cable company and tried to install the indoor antenna coax cable

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

That;s about it I think

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/18/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Could you recheck tha tmodel number for me please, the one you mentioned is not quite right.

Also do you have an actual antenna connected to this tv directly or are you trying to use a shared antenna or just a coax wall jack?

I took a photo of the label on ther back of the tv and it reads 50PDP10 then there is a space and then an "A". The antenna I am trying to use has a coax cable and it is intended for local channels only. I have an identical tv in my bedroom awith another identical antenna and it worked the first time I set it up. I tried switching antennas and still the tv in the livingroom does not get a signal.
I do not want to pay more... it is already costing me $28. Let's continue texts.
I thought the phone option was for the same money I paid, that is why I had suggested it.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response.

That model is still not quite right though, you may be mixing up some numbers/letters, or perhaps just typing it wrong or out of order could you check it once more please

As I explained earlier, the antenna I am using is an indoor antenna that has a coax cable attached to a square piece that you can hang on the wall wherever you get best signal.
I don't know what to tell you. It has big letters and numbers and it is very easy for me to read them. They are what I wrote before: MODEL 50PDP10 A
The S/N is A05010PDP10011612

Thank you, ***** ***** part that wasn't there earlier does make a difference

Does that same antenna work if you connect it to the other tv?

Not sure if it makes a difference but when reseting the tv in the livingroom I noticed the firm ware numbers are different than those on the tv that is in the bedroom.

OKay, then this would indicate a hardware problem in the tv, meaning that the internal tuner has failed.

This is a very common failure in these tvs especially as they age. It is actually quite exceptional to have had either of these sets last anywhere near this long, We generally only see about a 2 year service life out of these vizios, which is completely normal for them.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

5) After it comes back on, run the channel scan again.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

I doubt that the solution you are suggesting will help as I had mentioned at the beginning that I already tried unplugging the tv from the wall outlet and had reset the tv also. It seems to me that I am not getting the help I expected and understand that you are limited because you are in a satellite location.

I agree it isn't likely to make much difference, but it is the one remaining step to try. I know you unplugged, but this process is slightly different and worth a shot. The only remaining possibility at that point is a hardware failure which ultimately would require repair/replacement.

An alternative to repair/replacement would be to use an external tuner or set top box instead such as http://amzn.to/2ySmpWn

Thanks.

You're very welcome, and best of luck!

I know this is probably not the news you were hoping to here, but if there is anything else you need I'd be happy to help however I can.

Best regards,