TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Tv was working great and then all of a sudden we heard a…

Tv was working great...

Tv was working great and then all of a sudden we heard a loud bang and then the tv went dead and now we have no sign of any life I have checked the outlet and breaker and everything is fine

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

UN50ES6150F three or four years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

It seems that we have no power to the tv at all no lights come on at power light or on the screen

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Nothing it has been working great honestly we heard a pop that we though was a rock being thrown through the window and then realized the TV had gone black

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

We have a cable box connected to the tv and that is powered up and is working fine.

11/18/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The pop you heard and the set showing no signs of life at all directly points to a hardware failure. More specifically, the power supply board shorted- and needs to be replaced. There are no pushbutton fixes, or resets for this (the bang/pop sound is analogous to an electrical component "dead-shorting"). I would recommend unplugging the TV and leaving it unplugged until it's repaired as well. I am searching to see if the power board is available for your set- please allow me a couple of minutes.

If you're looking to repair this yourself- this is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $64:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-UN50ES6150FXZA-POWER-BOARD-BN44-00503A-/272479601890?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $250-$300 parts and labor, which may or may not be cost effective as a brand new 50" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Thanks I will find the part and replace

You're welcome and best of luck!