TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Bought a new Vizio Tv to replace another smaller Vizio.

Hooked up the cable with...
Bought a new Vizio Tv to replace another smaller Vizio. Hooked up the cable with the high def hdml cable but the picture is 780 and not the 1080 for high def
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The old one is Vizio model V0320E new one is Vizio d series model D40F
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No the old one played high def picture. I just disconnected the HDML wire and plugged it into the new one. The wire comes from the cable box
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just hooked up the new tv 2 hours ago. Tried rebooting the cable box also
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so
11/17/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The resolution the TV displays is determined by the box- meaning the box tells the TV what resolution. So that said, it's likely your box simply needs to be rebooted, or there could be something else amiss. That said, who is the cable provider and how is the box connected to the TV (using component video or HDMI)?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Comcast is the provider and is connected with the HDMI cable

Thank you. Unless the new TV is defective (which is not impossible), then the cable box simply needs to be rebooted. Please shut the TV off, then unplug the power cord from the back of the cable box. Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable, and then plug the power cord back into the box. Give it 5 minutes to reboot and then turn the TV on. Let me know what happens please.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Roger that!

Standing by!

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Cable box is rebooting now

Okay great. Let me know what happens.

Also, on the display of the cable box (the little window), let me know what resolution it comes up with.

Any luck?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The tv still says 720p and there is only a white power light on the front of the cable box

Okay, that's a box issue- not a TV issue. I would try another reboot, and if the box doesn't come fully up and display 1080 then contact Comcast and have them swap it out. The TV can't display a lower resolution than what the box sends it- it's "auto detect" on every TV out there.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok will do! Thank you for your help!!

You're welcome and best of luck!

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No I think I’m good! Thanks again!

Okay- and you're welcome! Also you paid the website a deposit to work with me, but I am not actually paid unless you click a positive rating. Could you do that for me please?

Aric, Technician
Aric, Technician