TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Screen is black but I have sound. 55hds69. Not sure how old…

Customer Question
Screen is black but...

Screen is black but I have sound

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

55hds69

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Not sure how old it is

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I just move to another house and when I hook everything up it was fine. I left the room and came back and I had sound but no screen

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Nooe

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 5 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

If you use the original Hitachi remote to pull up the TV's MENU- will the MENU display?

I don't have the remote but the screen is totally black

If the screen is totally black- meaning not even the set's native functions will display then this directly indicates a hardware failure with the TV. That's why I'm asking you to try and get the set's MENU to display. Most people use a cable remote- that won't access the TV's own MENU. Shut the TV off and then turn it right back on- does the screen light up or display anything (even for a second)?

I tired that and nothing happens. The screen stays totally black

On an HDS plasma- the issue that would cause this would be failed sustain boards- or the high voltage from the power board that drives the screen. This is not uncommon at all when these sets get on in age and it generally requires repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

I have tired that many times now and get nothinh

Okay, I had no way of knowing that. There's no pushbutton fixes for this- it's a hardware failure and requires repairs/replacement of the TV.

The power supply is a common cause of this problem. This typically will cost you $250-$300 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible processing the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The average cost for this type of repair is around $400 parts and labor.

Given that a brand new 50" LED TV can be purchased for about the same cost as repairing this set, it may make more sense to put that same money towards replacement of the set- versus repairs.

However if you would like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Is the power supply board the one in the middle? Also are the sustain boards the x and y sus

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician