TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Sony television sound comes across muffled and I very

frequently cannot understand spoken words...
My Sony television sound comes across muffled and I very frequently cannot understand spoken words. Is there a fix for this?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Sony? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Dont know, its in a cabinet and I cant get to the back.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I boght the TV about a year ago and it wasnt good then but it seems to be getting worse.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that the sound is muffled
11/17/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Please reply back with the full model number off of the back of the TV.

Please don't post duplicate questions, simply reply back on this page to proceed.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
KDL40W656D

Thank you. What is connected to the TV (example: cable box, DVD player, etc.)?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I have paid $5 for this transmission. Can you help me?

Note that the site will send you a phone call offer- that is NOT from me. It is sent without my consent and I am not available by phone. To see MY REPLY, "X" out of the offer and view the page that we have been typing on. Also note that any offers for subscriptions or promotions are NOT something I am privy to. I am an independent tech and am only paid with a positive rating for my service. If you understand, please simply say "I Understand" on this page, and we can continue with your Tech issue.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I understand

Thank you. What is connected to the TV (example: cable box, DVD player, etc.)? Also, if the issue occurs when watching from a cable box- if you switch over to a DVD player- do you still have the same problem?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Aric are you still here? Only cable TV is connected to my tv

Yes I'm still here, I just posted one minute ago. Okay, so "cable tv"- is that through a cable BOX?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No cable box

Okay, this indicates a hardware fault in the set- not something that can generally be fixed by you. Is the TV less than or over a year from the date of purchase please?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Approx a year to 18 months

So it's not under warranty any longer. This is bad news as the solution is generally to replace the Mainboard in the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Do you mean pull the plug?

Correct.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay did it.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Are you still there?

Okay, what were the results???

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Still sounds muffled
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Do you know this site is still asking me for $26

Did you read the part above where I stayed I have NO DEALINGS with any billing issues? Well I don't. I'm a USER of the site and billing is not discussed here on these pages- you will use the site help pages to address those issues.

Unfortunately there are no quick fixes for this (besides trying to leave the set unplugged for an hour or more in the hopes it resets). Beyond that the Mainboard will need to be replaced which is on average a $300 repair at a shop. Alternatively, if you're a DIY type and looking to repair the set yourself- let me know and I will search for a link to the part.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I did read it. I will try to disconnect for awhile and try again. I bought it at Best Buy so maybe they will help me. Thanks alot for your help

Thank you. As a user, I am not allowed to discuss billing per the terms of service I must adhere to. Best Buy can offer to repair the set (have the Geek Squad replace the mainboard), but this will not be covered unless you purchased an extended warranty through them I'm afraid. I'm very sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Aric, Technician