TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

The onscreen menu will not appear so that I can change the

time on the clock. JA: What's...
The onscreen menu will not appear so that I can change the time on the clock.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: The model is VRDVD4005 and it is about 15 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I noticed it when I went to change the time on the clock a week and a half ago. I tried changing the batteries in the remote and unplugging and plugging back in the VCR.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I try to play a dvd I can't see the picture. I'm guessing the tv/vcr button and/or the setup button is not working.
Answered in 1 day by:
11/18/2017
Josh, Technician

Hello:

I'm so very sorry it took so long for someone to offer assistance to you. My name is ***** ***** I've just come online and saw your question waiting. Before we start, can you please confirm if you still need assistance with your question? Thank you!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I do.

Press SETUP while a DVD is stopped.

The on-screen menu should appear now

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That did not work. Do you have any other ideas?
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

Let me start off with saying I apologize that someone has not followed up with you since the original question date. I was asked to look more into this for you and I want to try and help as much as I can for you. it doesn't appear to me that you are still online so I would like to ask a few questions in the meantime.

Based on your question, you had stated that you are not able to see a picture on your TV when you try to watch a DVD. So you are thinking you might have something funky going on with the settings on your TV.

If you have resolved the issue since reaching out to us, please let me know.

Are you able to get to the TV input where you normally play DVDs?

Could you verify how you have it connected to your TV?

Cable line from the wall to your VCR and a cable line from the VCR to your TV?

Cable line from the wall to the VCR, then multicolored cable from box to your TV?

Cable from wall to your TV and multicolored cables from VCR to TV?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
The cable from the wall is hooked up to the cable box. The cable box is connected to the VCR with a three prong multi color cable.

So, on your TV, you normally have to hit the input button on your remote to get to watch a DVD, correct?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
We need to start over. My original issue was that I could not not get the setup menu to appear onscreen so that I could change the time on the VCR clock. Then I discovered that when I tried to play a DVD, I was not able to see the DVD play onscreen. As I said in the beginning, I think the problem is with the TV/VCR button and/or the Setup button on the remote control.
Actually, you helped me understand your setup.Do you know the model number of your tv? What I wanted to try is to manually change the input through the settings.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
The tv is a Samsung 40' diagonal which is only a week old. The problem started at least three weeks ago with the old tube tv which we had for years.
Based on everything you've said, the unit has bit the dust.We've checked the inputs. You've tried another tv. The DVDs aren't playing but the on-screen menu isn't working either which tells me it's more than a dirty optical drive. Other cases I've looked at are showing the unit was at or about 10 years old. I don't believe it's your remote since your DVDs won't play. There's not much repairs that can be done that would be cost effective compared to buying another unit.
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Thanks for trying
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service