TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The 47" TV won't turn on...I hit the power button and it…

Customer Question
The 47" TV won't...

The 47" TV won't turn on...I hit the power button and it quickly flashes the LG logo then disappears. The red light under the screen flashes 3 times and then turns off.

Technician's Assistant: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?

No it hasn't happened before. I unplugged it last night for at least 1 hour and nothing changed.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Nothing works...just the quick flash of the LG logo and it blanks out.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Happened last night. My wife turned it on and she said it just flashed on for a moment and that was it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

The TV has an LG audio bar that sometimes gets stuck in the full on position. We have to turn the tv off, change the channel to get it to adjust properly

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 9 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Could you please tell me the complete model number, found on the back of the tv?

47ln5790-ui
email
Hello?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising either as this tv is nearly at the end of its designed service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Thanks. I will try the fix, but I'm not hopeful.Is there any warranty left or would it make sense to return it to the store I purchased it from? I think it was Costco or BJ's.

It is unlikely that either would be an option,

the factory warranty is only a year. Costco gives a 2nd year warranty, but neither store would actually take it back at this point and neither store does any type of repairs. You really would be best off just buying a new one, unless you had purchased some type of extended warranty

thanks
One other thing....I have a LG sound bar and brought my Vizio TV down to replace the broken LG TV. Do you know if the LG soundbar is compatible with the Vizio TV?
Sorry I didn’t see your last message until now. Yes it should work just fine. You’ll probably need an optical cable from the sound bar to the tv.
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.