TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Sometimes I don't get any audio when I'm on Netflix or Hulu…

Customer Question
Sometimes I don't get...

Sometimes I don't get any audio when I'm on Netflix or Hulu or Amazon TV

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

It's an almost new 4k HDR TV

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Everything works except when I go to the smart TV sometimes I have audio and sometimes I don't it only happens when I'm streaming something like Netflix

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It used to happen occasionally now it happens more and more

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

That's the only problem I'm having

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
11/16/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you please tell me the brand and actual model number of the tv?
Does this happen through the tvs own internal speakers or from some external system like a soundbar?

Samsung model number un65ks8000fxza LED 4K
I have a surround system through a receiver

Okay can you tell me how they are connected?

Professionally installed. Hdmi

The hdmi arc connection can be glitchy between devices like this, but this can also be a setting,

go into the tv menu under sound/audio and set the audio output forma to pcm/stereo

if that doesn't help do the same thing within the actual netflix app, under the language/subtitle options, and let me know if that resolves the issue for you.

The TV was already set that way and I'll check Netflix setting but it happens on Netflix Hulu Hulu Amazon all the streaming video ones

Okay if the problem continues, you'd need to change over to an optical connection for the audio rather than the hdmi connection

It has been working fine for 6 months does that make sense?

Yes that is still a possibility,

if it has happened suddenly, it could also be related to a bad or loose cable, or a software issue.

You can also go into the menu on the tv and check if there are any software updates available to install, and do the same on the receiver if it is a network connected model.

The audio just started working now on its own. it would be a very big task here to replace that cable because everything's inside the walls, is it likely that the HDMI cable just failed?

You could easily test that by running another new cable (not through the wall) and see if that helps, before you consider tearing things up.

I just went out of Netflix and then back in again in the sound is gone.

If it is that intermittent, it is not likely a bad cable, but it can be a software or miscommunication issue. So check for the software updates on both the tv and receiver

I can't locate where to do a software update on the TV

It should be in the menu under Support or Advanced

Check the updates on the TV it was on automatic update and it said that it was up to date the receiver is not online

Thank you for checking,

that doesn't mean that a future update won't fix it, but for now our options are limited,

and the last thing to try would be a factory reset of the tv (also from the help/diagnostics menu)

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

I figured out it was a simple function on my universal remote. I have to function into Smart TV and that gives me access to Netflix and others, but i get Video without audio, if I function into Smart TV a second time once the video is working, the audio comes on as well. I never had to do this for the first 7 months of having this new TV. I don't understand it but at least it works.
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for the update, glad to hear it is working again for you. I did not realize that you were using a universal remote that was controlling these functions or I would have indicated that process to you sooner.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer