TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My TCL powers on but the screen stays black. It is less than…

Customer Question
My TCL powers on...

My TCL powers on but the screen stays black. It is less than a year old

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

It is less than a year old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The screen powers on and you dont get an option to choose a source, screen is totally black it is a 4k smart tv

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I watch it last night, turned it off before bed and when I came in today to turn it on this was happening. Hitting the reset button is not working nor is unplugging it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/16/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you please give me the actual model number of the tv?

Ok let me try to find it

Thanks, ***** ***** printed on a sticker on the back of the tv.

65US5800NU0W is the "service Number"
Model is 65US5800
TCL 4K Roku

Thank you for the info,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or backlight component, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; even for a 2016 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if it is less than a year old and you have your invoice/receipt, you can try to pursue a warranty claim through the manufacturer. You would have to take it in to a repair shop, which can be a very long and slow process due to lack of available parts, but they should at least cover the costs.

Beyond the warranty period, these tvs are essentially considered disposable and not worth fixing, you'd actually be better off replacing it with a new model from a more reputable brand than trying to have it fixed at your own expense.

I can help you with warranty contact info, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Wow! I will try the solution you provided and see if that works.

Thanks, ***** ***** me know the results when you have a chance and we can take it from there.

Ok will do. I will reply back in an hour or so

Thank you

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.