TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Panasonic plasma big screen tv with a glass over…

I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic plasma big screen tv with a glass over the screen. It looks like there are dust patterns behind the glass. Is this possible?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It is approx. 8 years old and model is TH-58PZ700U serial PG72760056

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Noticed several weeks ago and is now worse so it shows. I have cleaned the outside screen but that does not help and you can't feel anything on the glass.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

It is at the top right worst and makes an upside down V pattern to the middle of the screen.

11/15/2017
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service

Hello! Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to answer this question for you.

I am looking up the information now on this TV to assist more. In the meantime, are you still available online?

Great! I looked into this matter and it sounds like it could very well be dust in the TV itself. Are you pretty handy with a screw driver? It is easy to clean with cleaner but you'll need a large enough workspace and a screwdriver to take it apart. This is the easy fix to clean it. If you're not comfortable with taking it apart, a lot of TV shops can do this for you but should charge under $100 to do it. Some should do it for even less than $50. If you're interested, let me know and I can see about finding the exact instructions for this TV.

If you want to give that a shot, let me know how it goes! If you have any other questions, please do let me know and just respond on here and I'll be happy to continue to answer any questions! If you don't have any more, please rate me on the top right which is the only way I receive credit for helping you today!

This TV is a 58" large screen. If you can look deeper and let me know if you find exact procedure for this issue. Thanks.

Sure, let me pull that information up for you.

I am honestly not finding the full details like I thought I would for this exact model. I will go ahead and have another expert chime in on this one to see if they have the information.

Nathan, Installer

I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Do you see this same thing when the tv is off? Try holding a flashlight to the screen if needed to better observe.

Turned it off and shined the flashlite on it and can see it really well.
It looks like a mottle pattern. Weird.

Thanks for the info,

This does sound like there may be some dust or possibly even some water/liquid damage that wicked up between the outer glass, which is a protective screen and glare and uv filter, and the plasma display panel (inner screen). What the prior expert told you is incorrect however, there is no quick or simple removal of this and it is not at all recommended to attempt it yourself. There is more to it than just some screws as any mistakes during the process or inadvertently touching the plasma screen or the panel connections can damage the tv beyond repair. It is possible to have a tech do it but you won't find anyone to touch it for less than $125 at minimum, more for a house call. My bigger concern here is just the overall age of the tv. This is a 2007 model, so it is at double its designed service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete. Simply put, it is probably not worth fixing it, as you can buy a brand new led tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range these days and investing in repairs/cleaning won't gain you any significant amount of life from the tv, other internal circuit boards will begin failing at any time now just from normal age related wear and tear. That said, I would consider a few options at this point: live with it, as-is, until you are ready to replace it, or consider working on it yourself with the knowledge that there is a significant risk of damaging it in the process and having to replace anyway.

If you'd like I'm happy to give some basic guidance on DIY, or to help with a repair shop or replacement recommendations. Personally, I'd leave it how it is until the holiday sales hit then pick up a new tv at a good price.

Thank you so much. Your advice is very logical. I appreciate your candor. Have a great day.

You are very welcome, and best of luck whichever route you opt for!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer