TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV. About three weeks ago, we

Customer Question
I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV. About three weeks ago, we started getting 8 red blinks. After some research, I replaced the SS board with a "new" board. I am now getting 6 red blinks. What is the likely problem?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

TC-P50UT50

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Nothing works. The screen is blank. It was blank with the 8 red blinks. It is blank now, with 6 red blinks.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

One morning we turned the TV on, and we got the 8 red blinks. We replaced the ss board, and now we get 6 red blinks.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
11/15/2017
TV Technician: ISP Cable Support, Customer Service replied 5 months ago
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service

Hello! Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your TV question.

I understand you are having the 6 blink error code. Give me just a moment to look that up for you.

Are you available for troubleshooting?

While I was waiting for a reply, I looked more into this. It appears that the 6 blink error code means the fans are signaling the error. The simple fix for this may be to really clean out the fans and possibly pull out any loose dust (if you haven't already) in the back of the TV. The exact verbiage from the service manual states:

6 Fan SOS -

Fan SOS Detect

The two ventilation fans are monitored to be sure that they are operating properly. If one of the fans opens or increases resistance, the resulting current change is applied to pin 89 of the Microprocessor IC9003.

Basically, if it has to work harder to perform, it will give an error. Check those ventilation fans and check back in with me. If it does work out for you, please make sure to rate me on the top right hand corner as that is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. If not, please send me a message on here and I'll be happy to look at other options!

Where are the fans located?
Are you there?

I am here. Sorry for the delay. Give me one moment and I'll pull that up.

The fans are going to be near the exhaust areas on the TV. Locate the grills for outflow and you should find the fans.

Do they look like computer fans?

Yes, they should.

I have looked for fans. I don't see any fans. My TV is a Plasma TV, model TC-P50ut50. Are you sure that TV has fans?

It appears they are at the bottom of the TV facing down. I had to pull up different images to find it on this model.

I don't see any fans. This Panasonic Plasma TV has the model number TC-P50UT50. Does this model have fans?
I see two speakers at either end of the bottom of the TV. I don't see any fans. I have installed computer fans, and I don't see anything at the bottom of the TV than looks like those fans.

I'm still digging into this for you. I just realized the model I was looking at was similar but not the same.

Very sorry for that misunderstanding but I have the right information pulled up and I will type out the information for you right now. Give me just a moment.

Since you have replaced the SS board, we can eliminate that as an issue. There are 2 solutions to the 6 blink issue.

The first one is checking all the connections again. Here is the correct view in the back of your TV.

(See Picture)

Check all those areas to ensure nothing is loose.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then the next step is to replace the SC board or the A Board. Here is the model number for that part:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-txnsc1sduu-sc-board.htm

http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-txn-a1sduus-a-board-for-tc-p50ut50.htm

To determine which board to replace, I need you to test one thing:

Unplug power. Verify all the cables on the SC board are properly seated. Check the ribbon cables and connectors on the A and C Board (see image). Disconnect connector SC20 on the SC Board. Plug in TV and turn it on. Does the power light blink 8 times again?

If yes, then replace the SC board

If no, then replace the A Board.

I don't see the picture. Where is it?
I don't see the picture. Where is it? By the way, are there any fans on my TV?

I did not see any model images showing the fans. The ones I kept viewing were models by one letter off. There should be a link to click on above your last line of "i don't see the picture"

I don't see the picture. Where is it? By the way, are there any fans on my TV? Also, is there a way to reset the TV?

I don't show any fans on your tv.

Is there a way to try to reset the TV?

On the factory remote, you can press volume down and menu for 3 seconds at the same time.

I'm going to try that.

Let me know how it works out.

I'm still getting the six red blinks after the reset. I'll check the connections again. Did you know that the links you gave me for the two parts showed the parts as out of stock?

Yes, on that site. But it gives the part numbers where you could call around to a local TV repair shop to ask for prices for that exact kind. I don't like to reference ebay but a lot of people buy from there. Sometimes people gut TVs and sell the working parts from it for a lot less than a new would cost. You should have no problem finding it on there.

Cab I assume that a ribbon or wire is properly connected when I can pull gently on the ribbon or wire and it does not pull away from the connection?

Yeah, and make sure it is seated well. That's really all you're trying to do.

Does the fact that the error code went from 8 to 6 red blinks after installing the SS board indicate that the board was installed, and probably installed properly? Or could there still be a problem with the SS board, or SS board installation?

I don't think it is an improper install or board. I think we've just eliminated a potential cause. Were you able to perform that test earlier? I'l repost it so you won't have to hunt for it.

(with power off) Disconnect connector SC20 on the SC Board. Plug in TV and turn it on. Does the power light blink 8 times again?

If yes, then replace the SC board

If no, then replace the A Board.

It's now pointing to one of those boards as the culprit.

I want to make sure here. I see a cable and a wire connected to the board. Do I disconnect the wire?

Yeah! It's the cord the guy is holding in the middle of the board in the photo.

OK.
I disconnected the cord on the SC board, and now I get 7 red blinks. What does that mean?
Also, the picture that you gave me the link to is not the picture of the layout in my TV.

The test did not show what i needed it to show. The 7 blinks are basically saying that that board is unplugged which it is. I was hoping it would tell us something else. I am fresh out of ideas right now. I am going to back out and let another expert come in and see if they can assist further with this.

OK. And as I said, the picture you linked me to is not the picture of my TV layout.
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service