TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The picture quality is totally fine but the sound dies out…

Customer Question
Hi, the picture quality...

Hi, the picture quality is totally fine but the sound dies out about 2 minutes after I turn the TV on.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

It will take me a minute to get that make and model but turning it on isn't a problem, it's just the sound that's not working.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

We can listen to the sound through headphones on the game system. Example, YouTube and Netflix

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Yes tv menu works. Issue since this weekend.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Sound was working, started to sound similar to a radio station losing its frequency then the sound goes out completely. The tv is was bought new at Costco about 8 years ago

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/15/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What is the model number of the tv?

On what sources/content does this happen? It sounds like perhaps an xbox or playstation? What about anything else like cable/satellite?

Sound works when I turn the tv on then about 2 minutes later it's starts to sound glitchy then totally goes out. I can listen to tv on headphones on the PlayStation
I do have a cable box as well. Direct TV
Model # VIZIO SV470XVT1z

Thanks for confirming, and it happens on directv too, right?

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best. I'm continually amazed that costco still sells this brand given their high failure rates.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $400 range.

An alternative to repair/replacement would be to bypass the tv for audio and connect a soundbar or other audio system instead of using the built in speakers.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Wow, ok well all of that is great information. I will certainly try the reset method you described and then go from there. We do have a subwoofer sound system that my husband has disconnected and still no prolonged sound luck.

So that does mean that it is a processing/signal issue in the tv (main board), but, you can take a sound system and hook that directly to your directv box or playstation and get sound that way.

Oh that's good news. When we initially turn the tv on, there is sound from both the sound system and the tv. Then the 1 goes out, then the other

Right and that is the tv issue, so bypassing it (sound system hooked straight to the satellite box) should help.

Ok, is it an obvious connection (example red to red wire)
Turns out the subwoofer system is wireless and basically the connection is an SD type card that goes into the side of the tV
That is not a typical type. Most sound systems have either red and white rca cables or an optical cable.
This is a vizio wireless surround system

It should still have some type of a transmitter or base station for it though

Well we've tried your reset suggestions and unfortunately nothing is working and the type of sound system we have doesn't have any rca cables like you mentioned. It's unfortunate because the picture is perfect but there's just no sound

You could always get another sound system if you had to, it would cost less than a new tv anyway.

That's very true, we're contemplating and weighing our options. Thanks for your help.
That's very true, we're contemplating and weighing our options. Thanks for your help. Can you suggest a system that would work in the way you suggest. I'd like to look it up and price them.

You are very welcome!

If you're asking about a sound system, here is one I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/2A9QJjA