TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Had a problem yesterday..sound came on - no picture. Called…

Customer Question
Had a problem yesterday..sound...

Had a problem yesterday..sound came on - no picture. Called the satelite service company..determined it wasn't a satelite problem..we fiddled...plugging and unplugging..the picture came on. Today.. same problem. I plugged...unplugged etc no picture and now no sound. The little red light is on indicating power, (I guess) but nothing.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

LE-37MY83..ABOUT 2 YEARS OLD

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

NOTHING ON THE TV WORKS..THE SATELLITE RECEIVER SEEMS OK

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

LAST NIGHT IT WAS AN ISSUE AND BY PLUGGING- UNPLUGGING ETC IT EVENTUALLY CAME ON. BUT I KNOW ITS NOT A SATELLITE PROBLEM... IT'S LIT UP

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I CANT THINK OF ANYTHING

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/15/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand it appears you posted a remote part number. Is there any chance you can get me the model number off of the back of the TV?

Do you need assistance with the question you posted?

MODEL 37D20SNA14

Thank you. Currently are there any signs of life at all on the set (power light, screen lights up, etc.)?

tINT RED LIGHT ON BOTTOM LEFT SIDE OF SCREEN IS ON

Thank you. And it's stuck ON, meaning there's no response from the remote OR the power button on the TV ITSELF?

THAT'S A TINY RED LIGHT

Hello?

NOT JUST YET...THE COMPUTER'S DOWN STAIRS BUT THE TV IS UPSTAIRS. IF WE CAN'T GET ANYWHERE THEN THE PHONE CALL MIGHT BE BETTER

I'm not sending that offer- and I'm not available by phone (the website sends that offer without my consent).

The red light.....is it stuck ON, meaning there's no response from the remote OR the power button on the TV ITSELF?

Did you see that I posted I was NOT available by phone??

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Do you need more help with this? I can assist you hear or by phone if you prefer.

SORRY.. i was away from the computer. No...the little red light goes off if I switch the tv off on the remote. When I try to switch the tv on..the red light comes on...no sound...no picture

Are you able to see even the tvs own menu screens at all?

No.. It';s a black screen

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,