TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Unfortunately my Panasonic can nor format my USB stick. It

unfortunately my Panasonic can nor...
unfortunately my Panasonic can nor format my USB stick
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: it is a TH-43EX600T and I bought it today (saying that it is the 2017 edition)
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: the menu works: under Settings/USB I can see the Stick but when trying to format it says: USB device not supported
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: AS I sais: I just bought the TV, hooked it up - everything works and nothing happened before...
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
11/14/2017
Richard, Technician

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me how large the USB stick is please?

Thank you

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hello Richard - the USB Stick can hold 32GB

Thanks

There is a limit to the size of the stick for these units.

Put one in smaller, most firmware has a limit of 4 or 8GB, so try a 4GB stick and tell me if that works please

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
trying to format a 4GB USB Stick results: formatting the drive failed, device not supported...

Try to use the stick on the Panasonic so not format it but view content from it

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
the USB stick is empty and no directory appears on the Panasonic

ok, you need to put content on it if you want to view, so copy some pictures to it from the computer and try to view it on the unit

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I copied an .mp4 and .jpg file to the Stick - both files can be viewed on the Panasonic. Nevertheless, the Stick cannot be setup for recording

Can you connect a USB hard disk please with its own power source and then try to format that.

Let me know the results please

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
sorry - all my H/SSD have a USB-C plug (which the TV does not have) - On another (old) Panasonic TV I am using WD (USB) drives (>=1TB) without own power source... Thank you for your efforts.

yes but as you are seeing this TV is not accepting it, we tried different sizes so it most common cause left is not enough power from the TV for this, so it needs a drive with its own Power.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
If I understand correctly you mean a USB device has to have it´s own power to get it formatted by the TV but the files are readable without own power?

Correct, it is the only explanation why it cannot communicate with the drive correctly, wither that it it has a bug in the firmware with formating and that I doubt else I would have had customers here with this issue, which is why we need to try this first.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Interesting... I will buy a USB HD with power connector to exclude a firmware bug and let you know in the next 24hrs. Thank you for your efforts.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I just connected a 1 TB WD My Passport with NO own power and the Panasonic was able to read and format it...

Ok, then it needed just a larger device, but it is always best to use one with its OWN power supply so not to take too much power from the unit.

I see though you gave me a poor rating? Wjhat is the reasoning behind such a complaint against me? I am trying to get you the best setup. but you are now putting a black mark on my profile?

Richard, Technician
Richard, Technician