TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have a large Sony TV less than 3 years old. We watched it…

Customer Question
We have a large...

We have a large Sony TV less than 3 years old. We watched it last night and turned it off in the usual fashion and today it won't start. We have changed the batteries in the remote but still no good. Is there some way of turning it on manually?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It's a Sony bought at the same time as the TV. It says RM- GD030

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

As I told you already, it was working well last night. We have changed the batterries in the remote, and turned the electricity on and off several times. The electricity is OK because the Foxtel box is on.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/14/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What is the model number off of the back of the Sony TV please? Also are there ANY signs of life at all on the TV right now (power light, etc.)?

I can't see the model number but I will look up the invoice. There are no lights on the TV but the Foxtel box is on

Thanks for the reply. If there is no sign of the power light on the TV at all, then this generally indicates a Power Board failure in the set (and can generally require replacement of this part to fix the issue).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

70 inch 3D FHD 100HZ Smart TV and it's under extended warranty. Could the problem be the remote. We have already changed the batteries
where is the power button on the TV. We have looked but can't find it.

I still don't have the model number of the TV so I can't look it up. A full Sony model number would be something like:

KDL-55U500XBR or similar.

Also common places for the power button would be the lower left or right hand REAR corner of the TV, or perhaps on the sides. Can you take a look please?

The problem is that we can't get behind the TV. Where is the switch normally?

I where it is normally in my last reply. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to help, and will have to opt out at this point.

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.