TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Volume intemittently goes to 100 and won't back down, input…

Volume intemittently goes to...

Volume intemittently goes to 100 and won't back down, input changes, some menu pops up. Using universal remote so can't do any of the resets seen online. tried holding power button on tv for 15 seconds, worked for 5 minutes then volume went full again

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Emerson 42" Class LCD 1080p 60Hz HDTV, LTDN42V68US 5 years old but olny been used for 18 months

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No and yes

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Bought a universal remote just before this happened because lost the original

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Programed the remote and problem started within days

11/14/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand, all of these symptoms would point to a fault in the set's Mainboard occurring, and in many cases requires replacement of this board to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and operates normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Turned on, able to change input, and so far no menu popping up or blue screen. Have another of these exact same tvs working for over 5 years with no problem.

Thank you for the reply. Yes the other TV isn't to this one. You could have ten of them working fine and only have an issue with one. This is a "glitch"- not something within normal operation of the set. It appears the hard reboot fixed the issue by rebooting the processor, which is good news!

Aric, Technician
It sometimes seems the longer it's on the worse it gets, we'll see, thank you

Okay and I can understand that. It would appear to be a heat-related issue with the set's processor causing this, and if it continues- would require replacement of the set's Mainboard (which is on average a $250 repair unfortunately).