TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I watched earlier today, shut it down and later it will not…

Thanks. I watched...

Thanks. I watched earlier today, shut it down and later it will not power up. No red light on either. I tried changed the power outlets alas!--no joy

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

42Lh40. It is about 8 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

N

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Nothings works as there is zero power

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

That is it. Thanks

11/13/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Let me know when you are ready

Hi there--I am ready to go now.

How long did you leave the tv POWER cord unplugged for?

I did not leave it unplugged for more than 30 seconds.

Are you with the tv right now? can you try unplugging for 3 full minutes?

I will do that and let you know what happens if anything. Thanks

ok

Okay--so I am now three minutes older. I have tried getting it going manually and with the remote but no joy

Since unplugging didn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (previous electronics experience is required on your part). Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop. In home repairs start at $250 on this model and most shops charge just for diagnosis. So you really should compare that to prices of new 42" tv's.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Thanks Mike. I figured I would need to know about capacitors etc but, that is beyond my interest and skills. Do they normally just go off without any warning?

It's certainly possible for a tv to fail without warning, yes.

okay--well thanks for confirming my darkest fears!!

You're welcome. All the best.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Mike and I chatted online back and forth trying to see how to get my tv going again. I told him I had tried to power it up using the remote and the on/off switch on the tv. WE got no where and he told me it would cost nearly as much to fix as to get a new tv. I went to Costco and bought a new tv. On trying to remove the old one and set up the new one, I discovered that my tv had two manual on/off switches--one on the side and one under the front panel. I missed the one under the front panel. When I pressed that one, VOILA--the power was on and my perfectly good tv works perfectly and is not in the dump where it was minutes away form going. I think a technician could have asked which on/off switch I was using or told me that there were two. This cost me a lot of time and some money but thankfully, Costco has a good return policy. I guess he just overlooked this little detail but I am glad I figured it out before I tossed the tv.