TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Have a 75 inch 4K, less than 2 years old, started flickering…

Customer Question
Have a 75 inch...

Have a 75 inch 4K, less than 2 years old, started flickering on the left side, but would warm up and be OK, Now the left side is about 80 percent dark, but can still flicker. No way such a new TV that paid over 3 grand for should be failing.....

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Samsung UN75JU6500, less than 2 year old, but started acting up at 8 months, only now getting critical

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes, tried every ordinary thing, checking inputs, sources, it is definitely a tv issue, even now, sometimes it works for a bit, sometimes it flickers, but mostly bad now, you can even give it whack and change it sometimes

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

For the longest time, the left side was bad on startup, but after a minute it would spark up and be OK, but no longer, now the left side of screen is about 80 percent dark

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't know if further info is required before asking for advise

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
11/13/2017
TV Technician: ISP Cable Support, Customer Service replied 7 months ago
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service

Hi,I do not have the service manual for that specific model. Your symptoms indicate the back lights are not coming on, for that half of the TV (the back lights project through the LCD display so you see the picture).

An inverter is used to power the back lights - some models have a master and slave inverter - the slave inverter usually does the top/bottom half, or the left/right half, depending on the design.

This can also be attributed to the inverter dedicated supply voltage not coming up to full regulation - once the components heat up, they start operating and the inverter powers the back lights.

A way to verify if it is the inverter/back lights - is when the TV is turned on, and the half that is dark - shine a flash light about 3 inches from the screen on the dark side, from the side, closely look at the screen and see if you see an image. You may need to do this in a darkened room, and depending on the screen design, this does not always work.

Ultimately it will completely fail, as the components causing the problem are out of tolerance. It will need to be serviced.

A service estimate will run about $300-$325, depending on your location. The estimate charge will apply towards labor for repairs, should you decide to have it repaired.

A typical repair of this nature will run about $500-$600, labor included.

Sorry it is not a simple solution. Please let me know if you have more questions. I'd be happy to answer them.

There is always an image on the faulty left, just faint, and sometimes now flickering on and off. But occasionally the screen comes back on for a short time, so internal connection? Bad solder somewhere? And it flickered slowly on for a year. My wife gave the tv a whack and it suddenly worked again for a while. Can I send a picture?

My thought is the inverter board. It should be going out as young as this TV is. I know the warranty is only a year with Samsung but I would try to give them a call and suggest it may have been bad manufacturing. If you would like to replace the board yourself, we may be able to with this model.

If you can do the flashlight test, that would help us determine if the board is bad. Darken the room, turn on TV, turn on the menu, aim a flashlight at the TV and see if you can see a dimly lit menu.