TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It seems to turn on then goes to standby and flashes 6 red…

Customer Question
It seems to turn...

It seems to turn on then goes to standby and flashes 6 red flashes separated by a couple of seconds then flashes 6 red again

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

Its a bravia xbr 46 inch. has been sitting for a couple of years from new and this is the first time we have tried to use it

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Screen is black. no picture at all

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

The tv is new but never used until now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/13/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you please get me the complete model number from the back of the tv?

KDL-46XBR45

Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even if it has not been used, there are components inside that wear just with age and this tv is now at about double its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.